sitemeter

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The Hottest Day of the Year

I talked my boss into letting me take a half day off because I was worried about the dogs. I picked them up and we went off to the lake! It was a bit of a white knuckle drive though because the temperature guage in my car indicated that the engine was running much hotter than normal. But it didnt overheat and we made it there ok and it was fine on the way back. I guess it it was just too hot to run the a/c full blast in the car but I did it anyways because it seemed like it was too hot not to.

The lake was nice. There was a breeze coming off the lake that, while warm, was still cooler than any breeze in Ypsilanti. Sitting in the shade there was almost comfortable. I didnt sit long though because I really wanted to swim. The water was really warm so I tried to dive down where the cool water is. Usually, I have no trouble reaching it but today, I would barely get down there when I would run out of air and have to come to the surface. I finally got out the swim fins so I could get deeper faster. I think the cold water was about eight or nine feet down. It was nice and COLD though. There are springs that feed the lake with cold water and the lake is silty enough that the sun doesnt warm the deeper parts much. Anyhow, I dived down to the cold water several times and each time I would get a wonderful shock and then an "ice cream headache" Woooo!

It was 97F today according to wunderground.com.

Tomorrow is supposed to be just as hot but I have the day off work so I guess I'll hope my little car can get me back up to the lake.

No comments: