sitemeter

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Blogging for Feminists Day

Today is blogging for feminism day. I would like to take this opportunity to reflect on how the feminist movement has changed my life. Here are some things that come to mind.




  • The idea that a woman should stay home and raise babies certainly has changed. Now, that is still an option for many women but it is much more acceptable for the rest of us to have jobs and live life without a man for economic support. As a single woman, this makes a huge difference to me. I often find my self grateful that I live in a culture where a woman can not get married unless she wants to and can own a house on her own and have a job and basically have a life.
  • Feminists have challenged the idea that a woman’s worth is based solely on her appearance. As a fat person who doesn’t fit society’s idea of great beauty, this has meant a lot to me. I was raised around strong women of all different sizes and shapes and physical attributes. Feminists who demonstrated again and again that a person’s worth is not based on how they look.
  • Feminists have challenged men to be better people. Some men have even become feminists themselves. I am lucky because almost every man I have ever met believes that women are equal in worth to men. They think that what a woman thinks is important. They listen. Generally, they ROCK.
  • Feminists have reminded me over and over that my body belongs to me. No one has a right to have sex with me if I dont want them to. No one has a right to force me to have children. My body is my body and it is mine to do with as I will.

No comments: